Southwest App Case Study
Redesigning the Southwest Mobile App
My role | 2014
- UX design
As part of the re-design of the southwest mobile app, a key product feature from the roadmap was adding a way to facilitate re-booking repeat trips. We also needed to add the ability to use companion passes and airport maps. For the Southwest App I worked on:
- Creating personas of Sluice users
- Improving the floor plan tool
- Designing and documenting a “magic link” onboarding flow
- Created an onboarding video to introduce the app to new users
Adding hot rebooking & Early Bird check-in to the Southwest mobile App.
We had to focus on low-effort/high-reward improvements to Sluice that would make appraisal work easier. We identified several:
- UX improvements to the floor plan tool with low-dev effort
- Design and implement Magic Link onboarding
- New App Store Screenshots and Marketing video
- Minor cosmetic updates to the UI
Exploration and Iteration
White boarding helped work out the new flows
Original booking user flow
The original user flow (above) featured a linear process from sign in to booking confirmation.
Hot booking user flow
Our revised flow streamlines the purchase process, allowing returning users to skip previously entered payment details and contact information.
Companion user flow
Our revised flow streamlines the contact info needed of companion passes.
Sample Android Wireframes
I developed the Android wireframes for the booking redesign.
My Android wireframes also revised the account enrollment process
I also developed wireframes for utility section of the iOS and Android app (Android above).
Results and what I learned:
- The conversion rate for users who clicked the magic link was 100%.
- I had to work under very strict technical constraints, but still advocated for what I believed was essential to improving the user experience.
- I learned that sometimes it’s best to say no to new features.
- Creating a graph to help explain to stakeholders our progress in improving the email conversion funnel.
#ui #interaction #mobile